Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Science and Maths of Living

You wished you never had to use Science and Maths again once you are out of school. You have never been so wrong.

The "Money" chapter you learnt for Maths was just a prelude to the many cash transactions you were to encounter in all spheres of your life - be it eating out or shopping.

Just like when I pay for my food costing $1.80 and I would hand over $2.30 to the stall-vendor. One, I wasn't too pleased with all that clinking and bulking of spare change cluttering up my wallet and two, I thought it would be a mathematical challenge for the transactioner. Some do flounder without the cash-toting till.

Moreover I am on the habit of only keeping fifty cent and dollar coins and nothing else.

When I purchase shoes, I would check out if the under-soles had all the appropriate grooves for traction. If not it would be a no-buy. There you have the friction of Science.

At a lucky draw recently, I deposited my entry at one of four bins, only deciding on this when that bin had just one or two entries. The science of it is this : when this bin is tipped into the big bin, provided the other three have been emptied first, my entry being at the bottom heap would now be at the top of the pile, again provided if the drawer does not shuffle all entries in the final draw.

I would insist on my baguettes being quartered and sliced at the bakery as I do not have the necessary cutting edge to effect a nice cut.

Frontal spectacle frames should preferably be fuller and thicker to hold the lenses firmly and tightly. That explains for many of our accidents with flimsy but fashionable thin frames or even lenses cracking upon the un-intended pull of gravity.

So don't go away thinking that you have never learnt anything practical for your science and maths lessons. It is all within you to just remember and apply them.

No comments: