Monday, September 11, 2006

Our Population Crunch

Women, the Bane of Thy Life
As I sit here now with the looming prospect of working late into the night, typing up my job application letters and emailing them (the Internet connection died at another LAN shop and I had to drag my arse down to this one) , I am struck by more thoughts.

My seance scene Sister (all she needs now is an Ouija Board to talk to the netherworld) was, like my mother, not very encouraging of my university studies. She would always pass snide remarks about moi being so theoretically-dead in my academic pursuits.

She was probably right on that score alone but that degree would have earned me my place in the working world. The other prodigal sister of mine even went as far as sniggering about my probably deserving not to be educated as high as I could. I thought her GCE 'O' levels got wasted on her, as I think some of the university-educated womenfolk here have too. And Sang Nila Utama just doesn't sound right for a school, I always thought.

Here I am referring to the thinking and reasoning department which not only some women lack but a whole host of others as well. I don't have the statistics but women and wimps seem to be increasingly hogging enrolment numbers at our universities.

That means they will be serving leadership roles in enterprises and in the public service affecting all of us in the public domain. God Save Us All!

My sister couldn't see how she and my other sister had a major part to play in upsetting the family equilibrum, hitting me the hardest.

It seems women and women alone have been dead set against me in my higher learning aspirations. All the way from home, in school and at work.

Marriage will never be on my cards. I can be on very good terms with women but after a fashion, never to be living in the same quarters or sharing a bed with them, for sure.

What say you about the population crunch we face here?
I am not against women getting the education they should, to tertiary level and more. But after a while, they will have to decide if they can pull through a life of marriage with kids, on top of a career. Can they go on infinitely subordinating this role to surogates like grandparents, child-minders, child-care institutions or the maid?

Doesn't this in anyway contribute to a small family nucleus we face now and a population crunch? Compare this with the traditional roles of women in the past.

They shouldn't look at an education as being wasted if they turned tail en route to a high-flying careerist's path, especially if they don't need the money, have saved enough after years on the job and the family can live on a single income.

Banish that thought and instead think of it this way: that their education would be transmitted to their offsprings and that education goes all the way down a human chain of successive generations.

Hiro is really Kazu
Hiro does have a part of his name as Kazu. So maybe Auntie was right but her enunciation came through as "Katsu", rather than Kazu. Hiro isn't so dishy after all. *Wink.

No comments: