Sunday, December 11, 2005

FlashBack, FlashPoint, A Flash Of Genius Or A Flash In The Pan

I was blinded by a flash. No, it wasn't a burning bush speaking to Moses. On reading Latin phrases being bandied about the Net, I checked out a webby of one premier school and lo and behold, its motto read: "Auspicium melioris Aevi" To top off the web design, its multi-variegated gender-ethnic poster boys and girls actually flashed for a brief moment. I was reminded that this could only mean several things , all of which are encapsulated in my blog title. Or struck by a flash of lightning. Mua ha ha ha.

It made me realise how alike its motto is to another premier all-boys school. And not only that, we have many Latin words in our daily English language usage. Words like "curriculum vitae" and "bona fide". All I can say is simply "latinous", how's that for yet another Latin word.

Yes, yes. I mentioned "Madonna" the last time. I forgot that her nifty dance-steps would best be described as "eurhythmics". Please dont. We have enough of technocrats and bureaucrats here. So if I leave for Europe, I don't want another Eurocrat. And the blog on "Kama Sutra". Add handsprings, cartwheels and somersaults as part and parcel of the sex act only contortionists and gymnasts can afford.

While I am on the topic of megastars, I might as well. My ex-lady boss has Cindy Crawford looks, although petite, and with that distinct mole to complete her resemblance. Wonder if she had gone under the surgeon's knife but I won't be surprised if she did, given that we are dealing with beauty and cosmetic products.

Note this correlation guys: Phallus impudicus is a foul-smelling fungus having a thick cylindrical stalk and a narrow cap of the order of Phalleles. Its common name is stinkhorn.

I didn't know the "Best Asian Blogger" award is up for grabs. No wonder a fellow blogger has briefly mentioned this while another has begun her long tirade on hers. Spare us O bloggers! It is only a blog, for everyone's sake.

Oops. "Chicken Little" had Freddy Mercury, the gay vocalist, of "Queen" fame singing "We are the champions" and a string of past American hits I can't place my finger on. Familiar tunes, unplaced artistes. Or is it forgotten?

Let me explain too why I said "dramatic licence". Chicken little is no more than a squeaky, two-foot chick with oversized glasses perching on its beak, the typical nerd. His lady companion was a buck-toothed , fugly, quacky ducky and his best friend, a rotund, squealy, scaredy-cat pig.

In the finale Chicken Little was portrayed as a tall, V-cut, broad-shouldered, muscle-bound, manly-sounding cockerel who blasted into space with a flick of his strapped-on rockets with his totally altered gall-in-waiting. So too were his other companions recasted. That is dramatic licence.

It is true we do not like to read. We rather we listen and hear "the message" from friends or on screen. That explains how important it is that "the message" is effectively conveyed by educators, speakers and so on. By whatever means.

Remember my private versus public sphere debate. Other than regards to inner sanctum and sovereign space, you could extend this to a myriad of other issues. But once the door is bolted, even if it is a public place, it becomes private.

My entry on the diversity of humankind and the gene pool had me thinking. Again? What are you, nuts? I recalled browsing a photographic book snap-shooting natives in various lands. They were not exactly the current notion and model of beauty and looks.

In fact, the old had their faces screwed-up, furrowed and crinkled. But who says they are not beautiful in their own way? The media today has parodied only one acceptable and apparently "acme" of youth, beauty and looks. The anorexic, snow-skinned and flawlessly complexioned look for galls and the sculpted, hunky and boyish look for guys. Amazingly banal. That explains a thriving beauty trade here and everywhere else.

I read we are onto a new science, something called nutrigenomics. That set me thinking. (oops, I did it again - sorry Britney - love your breasts!). Is it genes which determine our phenotype or is it physiology such as nutrition and metabolism. Phenotypes like height and weight especially. For sure, medical diseases like cretin make dwarfs of some. But how else is our phenotype determined apart from the genes passed on like a chip off the block?

Nutrigenomics, as it is now, examines the impact of nutrition on health and diseases. I am more concerned with nutrigenomics' influence over phenotypes.

Ageism is here. I mean if our guys have problems finding jobs at a ripe young age of 35, the "Eldershield" scheme kicks in once you hit 40, pensionable staff can get laid off at 45, CPF withdrawal can be effected at 55 and retirement age is now fixed at 62, AGEISM is BIG here, isn't it?

Irving Washington is an interesting writer. He wrote under the pseudonym of Dietrich Knickerbocker, a book detailing the "History of New York". He also wrote "Rip Van Winkle". Interesting character, a bloke who woke up 20 years later. Kinda like "Sleeping Beauty", although in a much longer time frame.

This book is important to me if I plan migration. I want to know who went where and what happened thereafter. The Dutch , they are not Danes just so you are not mistaken, swamped New York. That is how New Yorkers are known as Knickerbockers. See how New York turns out and we will all have to decide.

Ok, so I am not writing as well to catch up with the times. Nobody writes "Suddenly someone knocked on my door" anymore. It should read "....someone rang my doorbell". If we have a "childless couple" and I am its anti-thesis, then what do you call moi? Childful coupleless? By the way I don't mean "single" as in being alone, I do envision a "other half" just not in the stereo-mode. Get it?

Yes, yes oh yes! I would love being a public prosecutor! All the prosecutees would be my ex-employers , their families and henchmen. I would love to see them grilled in the hotseat for all the vile acts they committed.

"King Kong" is making a comeback, with a new-look of course. I hope that film will be a techno, laser-lights-ridden action one. And "The Chronicles of Narnia" sounds like our Hokkien-expletive "Nar Hia", doesn't it?

Enough for one day. It is "Back to Gaya".

No comments: