Sunday, December 09, 2007

One Of Those Far And Few Blogs Nowadays

Another Big Clean-Up Of A Health-Care Industry? I Understand An Act Is Gonna Be In Place Soon
If you remember from my earlier blogs, I walked into this eye-lenses dispensing shop and subsequently how at two of its branches, I spent close to a $1000 on a pair of permanent contact lenses and three pairs of glasses.

An optician (who dispenses or sells glasses and eye instruments, it seems) attended to me and did the work of an optometrist. He was an older chap (a blimp) and I didn't like him the minute I set eyes on him. Apparently he was formerly in the car trade.

For me, it doesn't matter who you are and as long as you work in an optical shop, you should be able to do the work you are assigned. If you can't, then don't do any eye tests or measurements on any patient. It is his eyes you are fooling around with and his eyes are not guinea experiments for your new-found optical career switch.

A few months down the road, I notice how foggy my contact lenses have become and at the same shop, an opto did a fluroscent-strip test (for whatever reason).

Today, my right eye has deteriorated to the extent that it has become blurrer and cloudier than my left.

Visiting another outlet of the same optical company, I did a thorough test with the opto and she diagnosed that my degree had gone down while my astig had increased. My glaucoma test was a little on the high side and I had mild cataract. Another optical shop pronounced the same cataract verdict.

There are now several postulates as to what had happened.

One, as the opto had claimed but its HQ people now deny, the optician had under-corrected my vision and any drastic change in eye vision could not have happened within such a short time. That is what the opto had put to me.

Two, the contact lenses (which is an in-house brand) is defective.

Three, it is really the mild cataract that is causing me my blurred vision.

I will now have to consult an eye doctor to clear things up before deciding if the HSA should step in in investigating the goings-on at the optical shop and if it is indeed the optician's mistake or the lenses' defect.

As far as I am concerned, there is simply no compromise on a person's health and safety. We don't want another dragon boat tragedy especially if it is preventable. And we don't want to wait for 20 years for young lives to die before an inquiry on safety standards kicks in.

The People I Ran Into And The Total Disregard For Human Safety, Human Health And Human Well-Being
A young hot stud with legs as huge as an elephant. To me this is elephantiasis but he mouthed a scientific term which I can't remember and he couldn't spell it. He got it from birth and I know for a fact that if it is elephantiasis, it is a kinda worm infestation and I thought this could happen at any age. So does this have to do with hygiene standards of the environment?

A Filipina who slipped and fell on a rainy day and despite landing on her spine (like I did) she crawled back to work. What madness is this? Isn't health more important than work?

A local dude who is waitering and has this itchy eczemaic fingers. A check reveals he got it from work. Work-related health hazards. How many of us have not worked at places that were less than safe? He Ape's had his wall socket hanging loose with live wires exposed.

What about those metal canister pesticide sprays that the pest-busters are carrying around? Those are petroleum-based sprays and don't they make the surface they are sprayed on slippery sloppy?

Not to mention motorcyclists tinkering with their bikes at void decks or car-parking lots, leaving behind grease on the floor.

And those grass cutters whose machines do not have a cover shield and the real danger of flying objects emanating from them. Or of the diesel they leave behind when the cutters refill the machines.

What about cleaning, construction, blue-flame welding and electrical wiring works that can just happen anywhere anytime at high human traffic areas? Don't they pose hazards to passers-by?

What about fixing washing schedules at public places (and even private commercial places) where they splatter soapy detergents and water everywhere, making those places one HUGE SLIPPERY SLOPPY SLOP!

Our Sports Halls' And Swim Pools' Changing Rooms - A Feast For Sore Eyes
Dirty, foul-smelling changing rooms and shit in one shower cubicle. Jurong East Aquatic Centre has it all.

Not that Yio Chu Kang is far behind. The state of total disrepair of its hand dryers, shower cubicle doors, hooks and many more.

The choice of metallic parts at the swim pools' changing rooms. Rust follows that splatter everywhere. Look at Choa Chu Kang Aquatic Centre and Tampines.

Hooks that are off their places and now replaced with sharp barbs instead of the rounded ends. Tampines has it.

Urinals that stink and are so filthy.

What about what lurks inside and in between the mat at Bishan? Not exactly clean is it?

Time for a BIG CLEAN UP? Please follow Jurong West's example. It is new and well-maintained. And Tampines is not too bad save for those things highlighted.

Spare Me Your Problems, I Have Enough Of My Own
By now you could have guessed that I am so sick and tired of the kinda places I am renting and the kinda people I am renting the places from and the kinda company I am have to keep, I just yearn for my own place more than ever.

An assortment of characters but if they were reasonable, logical and rational, HEY WHY WOULD I HAVE PROBLEMS? Worse, different lifestyles, different habits, different religions, different era, different thinking, what can I say?

As I mentioned, sure everyone has problems but I don't see myself throwing out mine. The problem is "THEM". They are the ones giving me the problems.

A Stay For The Night, A Day For Rest, A Shower And A Wash - That Is All I Need For A Room
I have indicated to the new place owners I am moving to, that I am just there to sleep for the night, shower, freshen up, wash my laundry and rest. I am not the least bit keen on the bisexual owner nor his China gal-friend, wife, whatever. Nor the maid they hire.

Maybe their 18 month-old toddler I might just like.

Strictly no BLIMPS, BIMBS and WIMPS. Especially wimps and galls in any shape or hue or color.

Of Refuge And Rest
Everyone wants a place of their own where they can retreat to. And with full-facilities within range so you don't spent so much. Transport for one.

No comments: