Thursday, May 08, 2008

Sir Elton John And His Band - The Rocket Man Tour

I didn't get wind of Sir Elton John's concert till I flipped the pages of the national newspapers one fine Sunday morning and there it was - tickets seemingly still available for some seats.

I was pleasantly surprised that premium seats that were to put moi diametrically opposite the BIG MAN himself, snugly plonked onto his keyboard seat, were still up for grabs.

Yesterday marked my first time attending a concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. Mind you, the Indoor Stadium has existed since 1989 and it is only now, into the 21st century that I got to see what is inside. I had always wanted to poke my nose into what goes on behind that shining stainless steel armour of a pagoda rooftop and this concert presented me with that opportunity.

I arrived early, picked up my tickets and queues were already forming at the ticketing booths. As there was still time left, I went round the nearby Kallang Leisure Park to take a look. Quite nice but nothing spectacular and it helped kill the time I had.

I polished off a ciggy and showed my pass at the "Premium" entrance but was duly shooed off to the North entrance. These premium seats are the ones that face the stage squarely while moi's were the ones that lay by the sides.

The concert hall was filled almost to full capacity. It was nearly a full hour wait before Hamesh Brown and the Flying Dutchman got on stage to make some announcements and not long after, Sir Elton John made his GRAND ENTRANCE, dressed in a colorfully motifed black long coat tail, sporting a nice blondish brown mop of hair, a pair of red-rimmed glasses and a gleaming ear stud. And he is sixty-one.

And Sir Elton John and his band swung into immediate action. The first part of the concert featured songs that moi wasn't very familiar with. It didn't help that a performance like that made some songs sound quite different from that recorded in a studio.

I could, however, identify with songs like "Daniel", "Candle In The Wind", "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" and "Blue Eyes" and shook my head a little, stamped my feet or drummed my fingers as I soaked up the lyrics, the meaning and the rhythm of the songs.

The band, Elton's perfect mastery of the keyboard, his strong vocals, the music, the dazzling and flashing lights and the stage backdrop all added to the star-light and cosmic nature of the event. Some audience were clapping or pointing into the air or just simply dancing to the songs.

For moi, it was Sir Elton John's last bit of the concert where he belted out all his hit POP songs like "I Am Still Standing" that got me up on my feet and dancing. The last song came out so well with the background music that it ROCKED!

Oh God! It has been a two and a half hour's of super stardom that was well worth it!

No comments: